Metropolitan Caloundra SLSC
Albany Creek Swim Club
Surf – Paul Bounty and Carl Perkins
Pool – Richard Sleight
Instagram Handle: matt.magg
Surf – Surf Race, Iron and all team events
Pool – 100 & 200 Back, 200 & 400 Free
Personal Best Results:
- 2018 Surf Life Saving Youth Aussies, Perth – Bronze in the U14 Surf Race Final and also a Finalist in both the Board and Iron Finals.
- 2018 Australian Age National Swimming Championships, Sydney – Finalist in 100 Back, 200 Back and 400 Free.
- New Zealand Short Course National Championships, Auckland, October 2017 – Gold 400 Free, Silver 200 Free, Bronze 100 Back, Bronze 200 Back.
- 2018 QLD School Sport Swimming Championships in March 2018 – 6 medals.
- 2017 QLD State Swimming Championships in December – Finalist in 7 events including medals – Gold 400 Free, Bronze 200 Free and Bronze 800 Free.
- 2017 QLD State Surf Life Saving Pool Rescue Championships – 6 Gold medals.
- 2018 QLD State Surf Life Saving Pool Rescue Championships – Gold in 200 Obs, Silver Manikin Tow, Bronze Manikin Carry and stoked with Bronze in Manikin Relay.
- Selected onto the 2017 Sunshine Coast Branch Representative Team won 7 events, a second and 2 thirds at the QLD Inter-branch Championships.
- Selected onto the 2018 Queensland Surf Life Saving Youth Development Team (Junior Cyclones) and competed at the Youth Pathway Cup in Sydney in January.
- Selected onto the 2018 QLD School Sport Swimming Team and to compete in 6 events at the Australian School Sport Swimming Championships in Hobart in July.
- 2018 Sunshine Coast Surf Life Saving Youth Awards – Junior Athlete of the Year.
- 2018 Metropolitan Caloundra SLSC Annual Awards Dinner – Winner of the Les Steers Trophy for Most Competition Points accumulated in the season in water events and the 2018 Most Outstanding Surf Sports Competitor for the whole Club.
- Albany Creek Swim Club – Junior Swimmer of the Year 2017 and Most Improved National Swimmer 2018.
- Marist College Ashgrove – Junior Swimmer of the Year in 2017 and 2018.
Goals for this Season:
- To make the Sunshine Coast Branch Surf Team and the Queensland Surf Team.
- To compete at my first National Pool Rescue in 2018.
- To compete at Aussies in 2019 (and make Finals in all individual events).
- To qualify, compete and make Finals at the 2019 Australian Age Swimming Nationals in a variety of events (4 or 5 events).
- For Marist College Ashgrove to win back the AIC Swimming Championships.
- To be the best version of myself.
Long Term Goal:
To continue to train hard for both surf and pool swimming so I can keep improving and competing at the highest level.
To make Finals again at Aussies in 2019 in all individual events and team events.
To make more Finals at Swimming Age Nationals 2019 and be in the top 3.
To one day compete in the Molokai to Oahu World Paddleboard event in Hawaii.
Have a crack at the Coolangatta Gold.
Weekly Training Schedule:
Pool – 7/8 sessions plus 2 gym sessions
Surf – 2 sessions at the beach or lake
Favourite Training session:
Pool – Race pace specific sets.
Surf – Iron sessions.
Favourite Engine Product (and why):
Too hard to choose so here is my top 3:
Club Cut Pool Logo swimwear DTs - so comfortable and very cool looking. Perfect for me for training for pool and training for and competing in surf.
Wingskin Pro Male Pool Performance suit - because these fit perfectly and when I wear these I feel strong and fast. Loved these for years.
All Engine clothing especially the hoodie and tracksuit pants in winter. So warm and comfortable. The trucker hat - never leaves my head.
Favourite activity/hobby outside of your sport: Toss up between Surfing and Mountain Bike Riding.
Best Advice you have received: You are never as tired as you think you are.
Mentors: My parents, all of my coaches, both past and present.
Favourite Quote:Go out hard and come home harder.
There are no products listed under this category.